- This event has passed.
NEC4 Introduction to the Engineering and Construction Contract
September 14, 2022 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Why you should attend this workshop?
This one-day workshop introduces you to the common philosophies of the NEC family of contracts and focuses in more detail upon the key mechanics and provisions of the NEC4 Engineering and Construction Contract (ECC) highlighting changes from NEC3.
You will gain an understanding of the key aspects of ECC from all parties’ perspectives. It will emphasize the importance of administering this form of contract during the life of a project rather than “leaving it in a drawer”, as being contractual should be viewed very much as being proactive rather than being considered as negative. The session will review the contract strategy options between the primary ECC options A-F as well as the choice of secondary options that are available, all of which alter the risk profile and the payment mechanisms on a given project.
The workshop will review the key contractual clauses and mechanisms throughout the ECC contract, including the responsibilities of the Parties; flow of communication; early warnings; provisions for time and programme; testing and defects; payment; compensation events; risk and insurance and dispute avoidance. It considers how the contract if administered as intended should raise the level of understanding and transparency between the Parties involved and how the ECC contract can contribute to
the effective management of a project to achieve the project objectives using a collaborative, transparent approach.
Attendees of this course will have a much clearer understanding of the intent of the specific contractual clauses of the ECC contract and in practical terms begin to see how they should administer them for the benefit of all parties on a particular project. You will learn about:
• the philosophy and commonality amongst all the contracts within the suite of NEC4 contracts and
fundamental changes from NEC3
• the use and appropriate contract strategy to adopt when choosing both primary options (A-F) and
secondary options (X1-X22)
• appreciating the use of Contract Data, Scope and Site Information
• considering factors involved when preparing tender documents and assessing tender submissions
• considering common amendments that are often made in the form of “Z clauses” and their potential to
alter the dynamics or risk profile of an un-amended contract
• roles and responsibilities of the key Parties
• the important ECC clauses and processes, in particular early warning, the programme, Early Warning
Register, communications and compensation events
• Understand how to apply ECC in practice and achieve satisfactory solutions to problems
Recommended for: beginners/intermediate
This workshop is recommended for everyone currently involved with or about to be working under an ECC contract including project managers, contract managers, quantity surveyors, clients, consultants, planners, contractors and their supply chain. This session will be suitable for those who are relatively new to these forms of contract as well as those who are already more experienced in the contract and looking to enhance their level of knowledge and understanding.
***We recommend that all attendees have access to an NEC contract that they can refer to during any of the workshops***
Registration for this event will open around six weeks in advance.