Social Media & Public Affairs Manager
CECA Scotland is Scotland's sole trade association for civil engineering contractors
We are recruiting a Social Media and Public Affairs Manager to deliver our public affairs and social media strategy and help secure the delivery of CECA Scotland’s priorities.
The Social Media and Public Affairs Manager will actively contribute to CECA Scotland’s success through supporting the day-to-day activities of fellow CECA Scotland colleagues. the post is based in Stirling (temporarily based at home) and is available immediately.
This role will involve:
- Delivering CECA Scotland’s PR and social media strategy, including daily communication with CECA members and our wider stakeholder community.
- Keeping abreast of live policy and political developments in particular areas that may impact on or be of interest to CECA members and keeping members informed of relevant issues and developments in various formats using various media.
The work of the Social Media and Public Affairs Manager will be part of the foundation upon which CECA Scotland will continue to build influence amongst key stakeholders.
Post holders will be expected to work flexibly and be able to adjust and adapt to changing priorities.
- Create and deliver clear, impactful and regular communication to members and external audiences to promote CECA’s objectives and reputation.
- Develop and enhance CECA Scotland’s social media platforms whilst identifying opportunities for the development and improvement and benchmark against similar organisations.
- Administrator for the CECA Scotland web pages including maintaining relevant content of website and updating website with information where required.
- Write press releases, organise photography and video in support of CECA Scotland communication activity.
- Undertake research, reading and other activities to keep abreast of and up to date with the changing policy, political, economic, social and legislative environment that may impact on the work of CECA Scotland and its members and interested parties.
- Gather and present relevant evidence for consultations and for making other submissions as required, filling gaps in knowledge before completing drafts.
- Draft briefings for internal audiences and external audiences (including especially CECA members, politicians and public officials) on public policy issues that fall within the scope of CECA Scotland priorities, as directed.
- Organise and manage with colleagues the annual CECA Awards and member social events.
- To build and maintain constructive relationships with policy makers, politicians, regulators and other relevant public, private and third sector organisations to effectively represent CECA members’ interests and influence change for the benefit of members.
- To be an ambassador for, and to represent CECA Scotland externally, speaking at relevant events and providing evidence to parliamentary committees to promote the interests of CECA members.
- To work closely with colleagues in other CECA regions and CECA National where appropriate to achieve the agreed strategic outcomes.
- To contribute towards improving and developing CECA Scotland’s CRM and to work with colleagues to share best practice in data recording, collection, analysis and GDPR compliance.
Experience & Qualifications
- Relevant experience in a social media/communications position. Public affairs, lobbying and campaigning or in a demonstrably equivalent role that included interaction and involvement with the political and policy environments would be an advantage.
- Understanding of public policy with comprehensive generic knowledge with a demonstrable interest in the political environment in general.
- Excellent understanding of the operation of the Scottish Government and Scottish Parliament.
- Firm understanding of the operation of the UK Government and UK Parliament.
- Having a relevant degree may aid an application but it will not necessarily be used as a determining factor when assessing applications as CECA Scotland is of the view that there may be people without a degree whose other experience may enable them to fulfil the requirements of this post.
Technical Knowledge and Practical Experience of the Role
- Excellent verbal communication skills. An ability to communicate complex technical issues to both internal and external audiences in a non-jargon way.
- Excellent command of English language including spelling and grammar. Ability to tailor writing to different audiences.
- Experience of developing web sites that incorporate WordPress.
- Ensure content produced is suitable for multimedia purposes for publication through digital, social and print external and internal channels.
- Excellent inter-personal, networking and influencing skills and an ability to develop and maintain relationships with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels of the organisation, external contractors, suppliers and members.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft 365.
- An ability to navigate complex, ambiguous and sometimes conflicting issues and provide focus and solutions.
- Ability to gather, understand, analyse and interpret data and information.
Full Details here: Social Media & Public Affairs Job Description – Feb ’21