Changes to SEPA CAR Licences in Construction

SEPA CAR Licences in Construction

From 1 September 2018, SEPA will be implementing changes to the Controlled Activities Regulations (CAR).

The impact of this change will mean that many construction sites and projects in Scotland will in future require a construction SUDS licence before any work can get underway, which will impact on many CECA Scotland members.

A CAR Licence will be required for all sites that meet the following criteria:
· Exceeds 4 hectares in area.
· Contains a road or track length in excess of 5km.
· Includes any area of more than 1 hectare or any length of more than 500 metres on ground with a slope in excess of 25 degrees.

SEPA have introduced the changes in an attempt to reduce the risks of pollution to the water environment from construction site water run-off and to ensure that sufficient pollution mitigation measures are implemented both prior to and during the construction phase, as well as ensuring good ongoing inspection and management of a site.

The changes will be implemented from 1st September 2018.

To find out more about how the changes will impact on your business are how to remain compliant, please visit the SEPA website for full details, including a comprehensive Q&A: